Greater than 100 judges from numerous backgrounds acknowledged worldwide winners throughout eight industries, six applied sciences and three areas. The awards ceremony was broadcast stay on LinkedIn and YouTube.
Distinctive SAS Hackathon format boosts innovation
Fairly than a standard in-person hackathon that gathers coders for a number of days, SAS Hackathon members collaborated on-line for a month, enhancing their data science expertise below the steering of a SAS mentor by means of a wide range of trade tracks. Every group had entry to a studying portal and the flexibility to strive SAS methods akin to machine studying, pure language processing, laptop imaginative and prescient, information visualization and IoT on SAS Viya, powered by Microsoft Azure. Members have been inspired to community whereas fixing real-world points that affected their communities.
“There’s a stereotype that hackathons are only a bunch of coders hunched over computer systems tackling fluff challenges for the sake of it — and it isn’t true,” stated Einar Halvorsen, International Hackathon Lead at SAS.
“The tip purpose of the SAS Hackathon is to deliver collectively sharp minds from many backgrounds to create a commercially viable resolution for real-world issues. It’s a studying expertise, an incubator and a trial for taking world-changing concepts to market.”
2022 SAS Hackathon Winners by class
- Banking: Inexperienced Swedbank (Sweden): Document-breaking rain and flooding spurred by local weather change battered Sweden final 12 months. Staff members from Swedbank and KPMG created a dashboard in SAS Visible Analytics to evaluate flood danger to properties — and value potential losses — for 100-, 200- and 1,000- 12 months flooding situations.
- Vitality: Innova Information Hub (Spain): Because the European metropolis with essentially the most deaths linked to visitors emissions, Madrid desires to prioritize inexperienced transportation. To enhance BiciMAD, Madrid’s bike service, Innova Information Hub from Innova-tsn compiled datasets on bike utilization, then used predictive modeling to design an optimization resolution that may be applied in lower than six minutes and cut back impossibilities by greater than 90 %.
- Well being and Life Science: The Chart Chasers! (U.S.): Whereas value-based care ties docs’ paychecks to the effectivity of their care, docs could be underpaid when errors are made within the medical coding course of. Staff members from InformedHC and Pinnacle Options constructed an automatic system to uncover misplaced income for medical suppliers as a result of errors in using the Worldwide Classification of Illnesses codes.
- Insurance coverage: LiveEO #2 (Germany/Blended): Dennis Schmargon, head of enterprise improvement at LiveEO, used SAS analytics, LiveEO and open-source public and industrial satellite tv for pc information to create a mannequin that displays and predicts flooding occasions, empowering insurers to make knowledgeable choices about danger potential.
- Public Sector: Jakstat (Indonesia): Staff Jakstat from StarCore utilized SAS and Python to map and optimize the disbursement of COVID monetary support for the micro-, small and medium-sized companies that make up 97 % of Jakarta’s financial system.
- Telecom & Media: Funka (Sweden) To enhance the accessibility of net varieties for individuals with and with out disabilities, group members from firm Funka Nu AB used laptop imaginative and prescient, optical character recognition, machine studying, and take a look at automation to create an answer for web site house owners to guage the accessibility of their varieties — and apply options to any indicated issues — by inputting their web site’s URL.
- Retail: TrendsPro (U.S.): Staff TrendsPro from Maypro Group LLC used search engine development evaluation to forecast shopper demand for merchandise to optimize advert campaigns. Their resolution permits enterprise house owners to allocate stock, uncover essentially the most applicable promoting channels, and resolve what number of and how much adverts to deploy.
- Blended/Manufacturing: Notilyze (Netherlands): Notilyze created an perception instrument for a meals producer that displays processing and high quality management. This enables the meals producer to optimize the manufacturing course of for max revenue whereas lowering power consumption and meals waste.
- IoT: Oges (Singapore/India): Correct reservoir modeling is essential for oil and fuel corporations to drill successfully, defend personnel and forestall oil spills. Staff members from Oges Options included SAS Visible Information Mining and Machine Studying and Python Libraries to create a hyper-accurate AI-based oil reservoir mannequin, able to be included by any oil and fuel firm.
- Machine Studying: The Constructive Pondering Firm (Germany/Belgium): As local weather change intensifies, farmers most weak to its impacts can profit from protecting, cheap microinsurance. Utilizing SAS Viya and machine studying expertise, The Constructive Pondering Firm analyzed local weather danger in numerous states in India, then constructed a instrument for at-risk farmers to discover how local weather change can have an effect on their livelihoods — and the way microinsurance may also help.
- Laptop Imaginative and prescient: Funka [See above.]
- Decisioning: Linktera4Insurance (Türkiye): Digitalizing the client journey in insurance coverage would cut back paper utilization and automate workflow and resolution making for quicker and simpler underwriting and claims administration. Linktera4Insurance from Hyperlink Tera Bilgi Teknolojileri employed SAS Viya on Azure to render complicated insurance coverage information into simply navigable dashboards and graphs, and used Neula Low Code Platform to automate workflow.
- Visible Analytics: Catastrophe Response AI (Canada): Globally, pure disasters trigger greater than 15,000 deaths and value $173 billion per 12 months. On SAS Viya, Staff Catastrophe Response AI from Deloitte constructed an interactive map visualization wealthy with catastrophe insights and predictions to advise the Canadian authorities on how finest to allocate reduction funds.
- Forecasting: Staff 4-kasting (Norway): To maintain its rating because the quickest cellular community on the earth, Telenor Norway requires sufficient community capability to remain speedy with out tipping into costly and unsustainable overcapacity. Staff 4-kasting deployed machine studying/visible forecasting to create a system that forecasts anticipated utilization at any given web site, probably saving the telecommunications firm thousands and thousands.
- Pure Language Processing: The Chart Chasers! [See above.]
- Asia: Jakstat
- EMEA: Funka
- Americas: The Chart Chasers!
SAS Viya on Microsoft Azure key to scalability across the globe
Microsoft — the hackathon’s sponsor — and SAS provide built-in expertise that fueled innovation among the many worldwide cohort at SAS Hackathon. SAS Hackathon members applied SAS Viya on Microsoft Azure’s cloud-native, built-in expertise to construct perception instruments, automated programs and fashions and extra.
Analytics and AI reply real-world issues at SAS Hackathon
“Whether or not it’s guaranteeing docs are paid for the standard of their care, optimizing sustainable transportation, or rendering hyper-accurate AI fashions for the world’s largest corporations, our 2022 Hackathon winners utilized SAS, Microsoft and open-source applied sciences in ways in which impressed our judges,” stated Peter Lundqvist, International Hackathon Program Supervisor.
“Competitors is enjoyable, however collaboration and curiosity are what really energy the SAS Hackathon.”
For extra info on the winners and what units the SAS Hackathon aside, please go to sas.com/sas/events/hackathon.html and comply with #SAShackathon on LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.