Aiexpress – This abandoned battery, often mistaken for a bunker, remains in its deserted state on a public beach in New Jersey.
During the years before World War II, there was growing concern about the adequacy of America’s coastal defenses. To address this issue, the 1940 Modernization of the Coastal Defense program was implemented. Battery 223 was a crucial component of this initiative, designed to keep pace with the rapid technological advancements in offense and defense during the 1930s. Numerous fortifications were erected along the United States coastline as part of this comprehensive effort.
Battery 223 served as one of the three fortifications for Fort Miles, situated in Cape Henlopen, Delaware. This battery, positioned in Cape May County, New Jersey, was specifically designed to accommodate a 6-inch battery and provide resilience against attacks from battleships and aircraft. Constructed with sturdy concrete walls and a blast-proof roof, the battery was further protected by being covered with earth. With its 6-inch guns, the battery had the capability to engage targets as far as nine miles away.
Battery 223’s guns were never used in combat, but there were drills and live fire tests conducted. As the war progressed in favor of the Allies and warfare technology advanced, the need for coastal defense decreased. Unfortunately, the Modernization of the Coastal Defense program was never fully implemented, leading to the decommissioning of Battery 223 in 1944. Subsequently, all fixed gun harbor defenses were dismantled by 1950.
In 1962, Cape May Point State Park incorporated the building into its premises. Presently, the structure stands with its T-shaped design and multiple rooms, offering a visible sight to visitors. During instances of beach erosion, several wooden pilings beneath this expansive concrete structure become exposed.