New Jersey boasts a diverse history with its fair share of eerie and mysterious locations. Numerous haunted sites have earned reputations as the most haunted in the state. Here are some notable candidates:
- The Spy House: Situated in Port Monmouth, this 17th-century historic house served as a tavern and spy headquarters during the Revolutionary War. Legend has it that the ghosts of soldiers, sailors, and spies who died there still linger, with reported apparitions including a young boy, an elderly man, and a woman in a white dress. Visitors have experienced strange noises, cold spots, and objects moving on their own.
- Clinton Road: A 10-mile stretch in West Milford known for its eerie phenomena, Clinton Road is associated with legends such as ghostly hitchhikers, phantom headlights, satanic cults, and a haunted bridge. The bridge allegedly hosts the ghost of a drowned young boy who may interact with those throwing coins into the water.
- The Pine Barrens: This expansive southern New Jersey forest is steeped in myths, the most famous being the Jersey Devil. Described as a creature with a horse’s head, bat wings, and goat hooves, the Jersey Devil is said to be the cursed offspring of Mother Leeds, who gave birth in 1735. Sightings and encounters with the creature, especially at night, have been reported.
- Burlington County Prison: Operating from 1811 to 1965, this Mount Holly prison witnessed numerous executions, murders, and suicides. Now a museum, it is reputed to be haunted, particularly in the basement and death cell areas. Reported paranormal activity includes disembodied screams, footsteps, voices, shadows, and sensations of cold and dread.
- Trenton Psychiatric Hospital: Established in 1848 by Dr. Henry Cotton, this Trenton hospital focused on unconventional treatments for mental illness. Allegedly haunted by the spirits of Dr. Cotton and his victims, the hospital has reported phenomena such as screams, moans, whispers, and apparitions.
These locations represent just a few of the haunted sites in New Jersey. For a more in-depth exploration, you can refer to the web search results I found or consider joining a ghost tour scavenger hunt¹. When visiting these places, exercise caution and respect, and ensure you have essentials like a flashlight and camera. The unknown awaits, offering potential sightings and experiences.